Friday, July 15, 2011

Epitaphs To Encourage Estate Planning

An epitaph is Greek for "on the grave." An Epitaph is text honoring the dead, usually inscribed on a tombstone or read at a funeral. Here are a few examples of epitaphs written by individuals to be inscribed on their own tombstones at death:

"I told you I was sick." --Tombstone of Spike Milligan (1918-2002), Brittish actor.
"I'm in on a plot." --Tombstone of Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980), Brittish director.
"That's All Folks!" --Epitaph of Mel Blanc, The Man of a Thousand Voices.
"Keep Looking Up was my life's admonition
I can do little else in my present position." -- Jack Horkheimer (1938-2010), astronomer.

Cato the Elder (234-149 BC) said, "After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one." Doing your estate planning is one of the greatest gifts you can give your family. Your estate plan may not be considered a monument at your death or be inscribed upon your tombstone. But your family will honor you forever if you take the time now to do your estate planning. Do it today. Check out our site here for information regarding estate planning.

A fun question to ask yourself, "What would I inscribe on my tombstone?"

No comments: